Mezzanine

Acetylene Gas Generator

Donated By : Villeneuve sales and Service: Andre Borle and Pat Sheehan

Acetylene was disovered by Edmund Davy in 1836. The instructions state to specifically use only rice carbide. warning: If these instruction are not followed the generator could explode. This was the only source of acetylene for welding before bottled Acetylene was developed.

Hay Fork

Anonymous

This fork would be connected to a lift system in the barn, the fork would be pushed into the load of hay and lifted into the hayloft by a rope system. There was also a sling that could be used instead of the fork.

Imperial Oil Can

Donated By: Anonymous. 

These metal cans were used as containers to sell oil products in before plastic was invented. The farmer would reuse these containers to buy bulk oil.

4H Display Case

On Loan By: The 4H clubs

A display of the trophies and awards of members of the 4H clubs of Westlock and area.

Kemp Rocker Seed Treater

Donated By: Garry Wood

Wild Oat Separater

Donated By: Glen Kine

This machine was used in grain elevators to test for dockage of wild oats and weed seeds in grain delivered to the elevator.

White City Pickler

Donated By: Bernard Wiese

This machine was used to mix formaldehyde with the wheat seed to treat it for smut decease.This machine has a wood auger to move the mixture through. 

1927 McCormick-Deering Model M

Donated By: Ernest Wood

Built between 1919 and 1937; the model M engine was the most popular engine of that day with the possible exception of the Fairbanks-Morse Type Z engine. Stats: serial # W65749, Wico Type E.K. Mag. 628580. In the beginning International engines offered several  several distinct engine styles simultaneously but bearing different trade logos. The introduction of the type M engine in 1917 brought the different engine lines into a single design. During the 1930’s the type M series was phased out and replaced by the LA engine. 

1936 Witte Stationary Engine

Donated By: Ernest Wood

A 1936 price list indicated that an F,H,J,and K models were available in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 HP sizes. The F type was mounted on wood skids, the H type was equipped with an iron base. The J engines were totally enclosed, But used plain bearings. The type K was also totally enclosed, but had Timken bearings for mains. This unit was used to run an ice making machine and freezer before electric power arrived. 

Wisconsin Engine Model TFD

Donated By: Ernest Wood Sr. and Jr.

This 2 cylinder engine serial # 2407197, was originally owned by a farmer in Redwater, Alberta and was primarily  used on a grain crusher and a hammer mill. Ernest and his son preformed the restoration of this engine.

Fairbanks-Morse & CO. Serial # 907528

On Loan By; Ken Wood

In 1893 Fairbanks-Morse & Co. entered the gas engine industry, eventually becoming the world’s  largest engine builders. The company had a sales advantage when gas engines were needed throughout the railroad industry. In 1880 Fairbanks-Morse became sole agent for the Eclipse Wind Engine Company out of Wisconsin; as railroads were big customers of the windmills, it just followed suit for them to purchase their engines from the same company. Fairbanks-Morse is the only known company to build a sectionalized engine. All the components were separate for mule back transport; With no piece weighing more than 300 lbs.

1938 McCormick- Deering Model LA

On Loan By: Garry Wood

Over 42,000 of these Model LA 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hp engines were built between 1934 and 1938. Various special attachments enhanced its usefulness. These included an air- cleaner, water hopper extension, Kerosene carburetor, and a gas regulator. In the beginning International Harvester engines offered several distinct engine styles simultaneously but bearing different trade logos. The introduction of the Type M engine in 1917 brought the different engine lines into a single design. During the 1930’s the Type M series was phased out and replaced by the ‘LA’  engine. This engine was used on the Baker farm in Hazel Bluff for many years. It was restored by Garry Wood.

Year, Make & Model

cancel

Description

1938 McCormick- Deering Model LB 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hp Engine

On Loan By: Garry Wood

The LB engine was greatly improved over the LA models. These upgrades included a new cylinder head with improved cooling, removable valve guides and exhaust calve seats, and automatic lubrication on the valve rocker arms. They were advertised as hopper cooled engines with automotive type valve construction. Serial # LBA126656. 85,904 of these engines were built between the years of 1941 and 1948.

Massey-Harris 2hp Model R14

Donated By: John Leveque

Serial #AL22253. This engine included a hit and miss governing. The cylinder head and water jacket are cast in one piece. Massey-Harris starting making small engines in Canada in 1916 and continued to make engines for a long time after. This engine was only used for two months pumping water. When the power came to the farm in 1950 an electric motor replaced it. The engine was not used again.

1918 Fairbanks-Morse Type Z

Donated By: Earnest and Ann Wood

Serial #262757. this engine had a throttling design, therfore they were well adapted to kerosene and other low grade fuels. A low tention ignition was featured on early models with Sumter Plugoscillator used with a combination IHC magneto and igniter. This unit was retrieved out of a well owned by Glen Patterson. The well was covered by rocks, when the rocks were removed it was found hanging by its belt.

IHC McCormick Deering Engine

Donated by: Len Gurney and Restored by Brine Trueblood

This is a 3 hp engine It was an improvement over earler modles as it had aenclosed crank shaft with oil bath lubrication, it still had the oil drip system  to oil the piston and connecting rod.

Tom Thumb Stationary Engine

Donated By: Max Wiese

This engine was built by International Harvester Company, from 1907-1916. Serial # G 6527.This engine had a “high tension” spark plug ignition system and was one of the first air cooled engines. It had a hit- and -miss governing was used, the cooling fan was belt driven to cool the cylinder.’The Famous’brand, 1hp hoppercooled engine used the same main frame,flywheels, crankshaft, governor,gears, detent, muffler, mixer, and fuel tank as the 1hp Tom Thumb.

Lister Stationary Engine

Donated BY: Keith Montgomery

Lister 2 hp stationary engine, manufactured by R. A. Lister & Co. Canada LTD, Toronto Canada.  Serial #81782. This engine was restored by Garry Wood.

Monarch Pump Jack

Donated By: Garry Wood

Pump Jacks were used on many farms for pumping water from wells, they were driven by hit and miss water cooled stationary engines. Later air cooled small engines were used until power came to the farms and electric motors were used. Most hardware stores sold them as well as Implement dealers.

Case  Model 108 Lawn mower

Donated By: Douglas Empey

This tractor was purchased new by Harold & Margie Grigat of Leduc, Alberta, they passed it on to their daughter Irene & Douglas Empey who used it for many more years.  It still has the original paint, except for the mower deck. 

Post Drill

Donated By: Garry Wood

This drill was purchased for farm use from L. B. McCoomb in Busby when the business was sold in 1963. Mr. McCoomb had been the IHC Dealer for many years.

1920 Moody Potato Digger

Donated By: Art Stefan

This potato digger was built by M. Moody and Sons Company in 1920’s.  In 1833, Matthew Moody arrived in Lower Canada where he established a blacksmith shop about 40 km North of Montreal, Quebec. His creativity and skill as a blacksmith later lead to the formation of Matthew Moody & Sons Company in 1845. They specialized in producing agricultural equipment such as this potato digger. It was horse drawn and used the round plate on the bottom to dig under the potato row, the rotating prongs then moved the potatos from the soil in a neat row to be picked up manually.

John Deere Model 10 Riding Mower

On Loan By: Garry Wood

This 7-hp Riding Mower launched Jonn Deere into the lawn and garden market in 1963. It features an exclusive single peddle ground-speed control system that also serves as a clutch and brake.

1954 Bolens Ridemaster

Donated By: Marcel Chichak

The release of the ride master in 1947 and subsequent release of the Ride-a-matic series in 1958 blew away the  lawn mower.competition. Attachments were mounted below thr seat; including plows, harrows, cultivators, seeders, sprayers, blade, dump box, snow plow,sickle bar mower, & lawn mower. Marcel acquired this tractor in 2002 in non-functioning condition and restored. It was debuted at the Leduc Tractor show in 2005 in the parade and slow tractor. race 

cancel

Donated By

Description

 Horse Cultivator 

On Loan By: Garry Wood

These were used to cultivate gardens. It was adjustable for row widths and was puled by one horse with lines. The lines tied around the operators waist. The operator would guide the cultivator with the handles and steer the horse. This cultivator has the original stickers from the IHC dealer in St. Paul Alberta. 

Reel Commando Self Propelled Lawn Mower

Property of the museum

This mower was left after a fund raiser auction of donated items. it was in rough shape with many parts missing. Rod McFarlane restored it using items from his stash refitting them. the brigs engine was from his collection. going by the original paint left he matched it as best he could. This mower was manufactured by Qualcast LTD in Derby, England.

One wheel Garden Cultivator

Property of the Museum

This cultivator was manufactured by Choremaster Division Lodge & Shipley. It was left after a fund raiser auction sale the museum had. It was missing the engine cultivator shovels and it was ceased up.  Rod McFarlane restored it, supplied the engine and shovels and painted in its original color.

Garden-All Garden Cultvator

On Loan By: Roy Sterling

This one speed cultivator was manufactured by Garden-All INC. in Liberty, Indiana. It had a gear reel engine and a quick hitch for attaching different implements.

Frazer Roto Tiller

Donated By: Rod McFarlane

The Frazer Roto Tiler was manufactured for Frazer Farm Equipment by Graham and Page Motor Company. The tiller had a 2-speed forward gear and no reverse, but a reverser was available.  Parts are still available from Roto Tiller sites on the internet. These tillers were sold by Abe Nelson, owener of the Alberta Grage in Clyde Alb. The Alberta Garage also the Kisier and Frazer auto dealer for the ares. this tiller was purchased by Rod at an auction sale and restored.by Rod.

Simplicity front mounted equipment

Donated By: Rod McFarlane

Front mounted equipment> Left to right, A disc, row cultivator, harrow, and a plow.

Simplicity Garden Tractor

Donated By: Rod McFarlane

These tractors came in different sizes and transmission, this is one of the larger ones, it hade a 3-speed forward and one reverse gear.  It had a belt pulley and clutch to power equipment. some implements were rear mounted and some front mounted. showen is a front mounted grain grinder and a rear mounted roto tiller.  Wheel weights were optional.

Simplicity front mounted equilment

Donated By: Rod McFarlane

Front mounted equipment. Left to  grain grinder, row cultivator, tall grass sickle mower and a reel type lawn mower. 

Fairbanks- Morse Sttle “Z” 3 HP

On Loan By; Brenda Wichert

This particular company made this model during their major sales campaign. This has a high tension magneto, the bore and stroke      specifications are 3 5/8 by 5.5. these units were sold for $90.00 each.  Early Fairbanks-Morse engines were almost identical to Charter models however in 1900 they made numerous changes but the basic design stayed the same. This unit came from the Rochester area where it was used to to run a trim saw on a saw mill in the 1950 andearly 1960.

Belt Drive Grind Stone

On Loan By: Brenda Wichert

These Grind Stones were powered by a Hopper cooled stationary engine and used to sharpen axes, knives, and other cutting tools. the bearings were  lubricated with oil through two tubes above the bearing with felt in the bottom of the tube which allowed the oil to seep though slowly.  

John Deere Model Type E

On Loan By: Brenda Wichert

This engine is a single cylinder stationary engine that was used for more then the water pump that is attached. John Deere made numerous small engines before they began to make tractors. serial #365724. Some of these small engine could have come with an oversized piston and the serial numbers were stamped on the brass tag and also on the crankshaft.

Dominion Water Pump

Donated By: Erwin Wichert

These pumps came with a hand to manually pump water. This pump has an addition of a Gear Style Pump Jack that replaced the handle. It was driven by a belt from a stationary engine. this pump jack has two pulls one is frre wheeling allowing starting the engine without starting the pump, the other pulley drives the pump. the belt could be easily be slid from one to the other.

McCormick- Deering Model M

On Loan By: Bob Jones

This model M, 1 1/2 HP engine serial #W90805         was built between 1917 and 1937; It was the most popular engine of its day with the exception of the Fairbanks-Morse Type Z. In 1919 production peaked for this 1 1/2 HP model, with a total of 23,272 produced this size engine ceased production in 1933. The introduction of the type M in 1917 brought the different engine lines into a single design. During the 1930’s the Type M was phased out and replaced by the Type LA engine.

Year, Make & Model

Donated By

Description

Year, Make & Model

Donated By

Description

Year, Make & Model

Donated By

Description

Fairmont Stationary Engine

Donated By: Max Wiese

This engine was made by the Fairmont Railway Motor Company in Fairmont Minnesota.  It is a 2-cycle, reversible engine that was primarily used to carry section gangs down the tracks. Certain Fairmont designs were created by 1909 under the direction of Horace E. Woolery, who later founded the Woolery Engineering Company. Stats: Serial # 107468, Rated 6 HP – max 9 HP. Todays engine collectors consider these engines among the unique designs of days gone by.

Iron Horse Stationary Engine Model AX483

Donated By: Ernest Sabourn

This 4 – cycle engine was manufactured in 1950’s and ran a gasoline powered washing machine. It was purchased in 1952 by the Sabourn family, then replaced by an electric motor in 1954, when they received power on the farm. Serial # 228558.

Maytag washing machine engine

Donated By: H.E. Bromley in Memory Of Landon Marshall.

This Double opposed is 1/2 – 1 HP Maytag Multi-Motor engine did not appear until 1911. The company called this engine “the lightest, most powerful and most convenient engine ever built”. These engines were manufactured until 1923, when the new model 82 engine was introduced. This engine was brought from the U.S.A. in 1929 by Earl Marshall and then years later , obtained by Mr. Bromley.

Maytag Washing machine Engine

Donated By: H.E.  Bromley

This engine is a 2#cycle single cylinder engine, as with most 2-cycle engines the crankcase served as a pump , first drawing in air/ fuel mixture then delivering it to the cylinder. This engine was found hanging in by the belt in an old well, Mr. Bromley brought it to the tractor show and J.R. Woynorowski got it running, Rod McFarlane cleaned it up and painted it.

 1938-1939 Iron Horse Engine Model H

Donated By: Ernest Wood

Serial # 150607 model H, 4 cycle engine was rated at 5/8 HP. The engine was originally purchased by Ernest and his wife when they were first married and used on their washing machine.

Briggs and Stratton 5/8 HP Engine

Donated By: Ernest Wood

This model WM came on the market in 1936, and were specifically designed for washing machines. They were manufactured from 1936- 1939. Stephen Briggs and Harry Stratton formed their company in 1908. After world war II more than half a million units were produced per year. In 1976 the company produced it’s millionth engine. This particular engine was on Earest’s mother’s washing machine.

Iron Horse Stationary Engine

Donated By: H. E. Bromley

Model: LP1181 Serial # 273175, This 2 cycle engine was bought at a auction sale and was complete at that time, with only the need to repair and clean some parts. It was used for 20 years to power a fanning mill. It is ready to go to work.

Power Product Stataionary Engine

Donated By: H.E.Bromley

This red and silver 2 cycle engine needed some repairs that were done by Rod McFarlane using parts from his stash, Rod repainted it in its original colors. It ran on a gasoline-oil mix and would run on any angle, It was used to power bale elevators, 4- inch grain augers, lawn mowers, etc.

Homelight Power Saw Power master

Donated By: Keith Montgomery

Model XP 1000, Sporting a Oregon cutting bar, It still in its original colors. 

I-E-L Super Pioneer

Donated By: Anomalous

This saw was a heavy weight. The chain-drive gear box and manual oilier were mounted on the front of the engine.

Display Case Of Harvest Time

Donated By: William (Bill) Belanger and Rod McFarlane

The two top shelves of wood crafted models are Bills work, he hand made every thing except the horses. The bottom shelf with the John Deere tractor and thrashing machine is Rod’s work. The tractor was a gift and Rod built the thrashing machine from material he had laying around. the wheels were purchased. The thrashing machine was built on scale of  a John Deere thrashing machine.

 IH Display Case

Donated By: Ken Wood

A collection of IH oils, parts and sales advertising. 

Beam Scale

Donated By: Garry Wood

Beam scales were used for legal sales of produce. The farmer would weigh a bushel measure of grain to get the weight of grain per bushel. When farmers sold grain to another farmer they would use a bushel measure to load the grain. Grain was sold by weight, number of bushels times the weight per bushel.

Display of A Variety of Collections Front View

Donated By: Garry Wood and Cliff McCabe

The tool set on the wood display board are the tools that came with the Farmall Model H tractor the McCabes purchased new.                              The rest of the display is from Garry,  a variety of other items. see below for more descriptions.

 

Display Case Top View

Donated By: Garry Wood and Cliff MaCabe

This is a display of an assortment of collectibles from two collectors. See description  below.

Farmall Tool Kit

Donated By: Cliff McCabe

This tool kit came with the purchase of the Farmall model H tractor the MaCabe family purchased new. 

Adustable Wrench Set

Donated By: Garry wood.

 This adjustable wrench set was some of Garry’s  Dad had collected.

A collection of a vaiety of items

Donated By: See description in pictures below.

See description of items below.

John Deere Add Sign

Donated By: Garry Wood

John Deere Advertising sign of the Model 80 Diesel Built from 55-56.

Display Case

Donated By: Garry Wood

The Rest of the this collection are Items Garry has collected.

Advertising Simplicity Add

Donated By: Rod McFarlane

This is a earlier model, See later models in the Simplicity display.

Socket Set

Donated By: The Kurtz Family

This an early simple ratchet design still in its original box.

John Deere bike.

On loan  By Bruce Colbourne

This 5-speed bike was manufactured in Taiwan and sold by John Deere. It came complete with a tire pump, kick stand and front and tail lights powered by a generator that was powered by the back wheel tire. 

John Deere Tricycle 

Donated By Alf Hunt

This Tricycle was sold by John Deere was won by Alf and donated to the museum. 

Clothes Washing Machine

Donated b: Ernest Wood

This washing Machine was originally powered by a gasoline engine. When electric power came to the farms it was changed to a electric motor.  It had a wringer that would go forward or reverse to wring water out of the cloths, This machine had a plunger instead of an agitator. There was a release leaver on top of the wringer to release pressure on the rollers in case some thing got caught in the rollers. 

Cream Separator

On Lone By: Joe Rosich

A cream separator was used by farmers to separate the cream frome the milk.  Milk was put in the tank on the top, it had a shut off valve on the tank. below the tap there are 2-spouts and inside is a unit with disks that would spin when the crank was turned. the crank had to turn at a speed that would stop the bell from ringing. Then the tap would be opened and as the milk flowed through it would separate the cream from the milk, the cream would flow from the top spout and milk from the lower spout.

John Deere Sign

Donated By Bernard Wiese

This sign was found in this condition. It is not known why the letters are in John Deere yellow but the background is in the red color. Nor is it known where the sign was used.

Weber Sign

Donated By Bernard Wiese

This Weber sign was found in this condition. The sign tells us that W.H. Bingaman was selling Weber wagons and the yellow logo in the middle tells us Weber was established 1845 and was “King of All. U.S. Pat. Apr 3, 1906”. On the right there is an IH in  a circle, the logo for International Harvester Company, which tells us that IH was selling these wagons.

Close Menu
Visitor Count
135
Visitors Today
43403
Total Visitors